Sunday, April 10, 2011

The home stretch

Next week at this time, I will be hopefully crawling into bed, anticipating a 4:00am wake up that will begin the day I have been working towards for the last several months. It seems crazy that once upon a time I was counting weeks, and even months until the marathon and now it is just days away. So few days away, that the weather can even be (somewhat) predicted already. High of 57 with a 40% chance of showers, in case you were wondering. Promising.

After what seemed like the longest January ever, I can hardly believe it is April 10th today. Saturday I completed my last long training run. 12 miles. Despite an upset stomach, I ran comfortably, hitting my pace goals, and a bit faster even. Now I just need to keep myself healthy. Thanks to my physical therapist, Dave, and massage therapist, Chris, at Joint Ventures Physical Therapy and Fitness I've managed to keep possible running injuries under control. I have learned a lot about how to listen to my body in the last year as well, but seriously, these guys are the best, and have helped me keep the "tweaks" to just that and better.

I just realized this weekend though that it's not just running injuries I need to think about this week. Over the last few days I have become hyper aware of several friends and coworkers fighting stomach bugs and colds. Now I just need to make it 7 days without an illness or freak accident. Fingers crossed. The countdown is on.


Fundraising efforts are also in the home stretch. Saturday night was our 80s party to raise money for the Alzheimer's Association. Brenna and I departed from our usual all-black running gear with some neon for the occasion. Donations are still being accepted. Please visit http://alz.kintera.org/boston2011/chrissyrunsagain

No comments: