Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Weekend to Remember

Memorial Day is a day to remember all of the men and women who have died serving our country.  This weekend I participated n 2 events that honored and remembered officers and citizens.

As a result of the bombings at this year’s marathon, more than 5000 runners were stopped in their tracks along the course, unable to complete the race they had trained for all winter. 

#onerun was a 1 mile run along the marathon course that began with an email by Andy Marx, leader of the Most Informal Running Club Ever and grew into a city-sanctioned event thanks to the collaboration of leadership from running groups across the Boston area and coordination of the race management company, RaceMenu.

The event was pretty amazing.  I arrived early to volunteer and so did a heck of a lot of other people.  So many in fact, that RaceMenu had to close their volunteer registration link on their website because so many people wanted to help out.  I helped set up and sold t-shirts for a while, but then got to head over for the coolest part of my volunteer assignment – being part of the human chain that would lead runners to the starting line

The runners lined up on Beacon Street, listening to pep talks by Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino, former Celtic Walter McCarty and city Councillor Mike Ross.  Four runners, 3 with American flags and one with a Chinese flag in honor of those killed, led the line of about 3,000 runners.  I held it together while children from the St. Ann’s choir in Dorchester sang the national anthem, but after our human chain walked to the “One Mile To Go” mark on Beacon Street, my eyes filled with tears as the Boston Police played the bagpipes and our human chain broke apart to send the runners on their way. 

After most of the runner’s passed, I jumped in and myself ran the last mile of the marathon route.  For a portion of my run, I was near a couple, the guy shouting words of encouragement and filming the girl, who it appeared had run the marathon April 15th.   I separated from them a bit and made my way down Boylston Street. 

The crowds were not marathon-sized, but the cheers were.  Runners who had already finished lined both sides of the street and along with spectators cheered as new runners finished.   Many runners who had run the marathon wore their marathon bibs, and several had family hand them their medals at the finish line. A few moments after I crossed, I saw the couple I had run near earlier hugging, the girl, between sobs, saying, “I finally did it.”

Obviously there were a lot of urgent issues to resolve after this year’s Boston Marathon.  For the Boston running community, it was important to again make the finish line a place of joy and celebration again.  

It seems very appropriate that Boston’s Run to Remember was held at the Seaport Sunday to honor Massachusetts Law Enforcement Officers who died in the line of duty.  Given the role law enforcement has had in Boston over the last 6 weeks, specifically as it related to a running event, it was also not a surprise that the race sold out well in advance.

While originally I had not planned to run, I registered after the marathon as a way to both honor the law enforcement officers who played such an important role in the marathon and post-marathon events, as well to come together with my teammates, many of whom ran today as well.  A small part of me also registered to run to prove to myself that I could again be a part of a large race without fear.

About 9000 runners showed up on this chilly drizzly morning.  Due to the size and timing of the race, extra security precautions were taken this year that had never been implemented in the past.  Only limited roads were open to access Seaport Blvd and all who entered through the open roads had to go through a security check.  Runners were given a clear plastic bag to bring belongings into the World Trade Center, instead of the usual option to bring your own bag/backpack to leave in the designated “bag check” area. 

As we lined up at the start, my friend Nicole mentioned she had her phone and some other items weighing down the back of her running skirt.  After being unable to retrieve her personal items on the baggage buses at the marathon, she didn’t want to leave anything she might need behind in case she couldn’t get back to it.  It seems like the events of that day still stick with us all in various ways.

The World Trade Center, which serves as the hub for both pre- and post-race activities, did not allow new entrants, except runners, once the race was underway.  I can’t say how everyone felt about these extra measures, but for me, these steps did not add any inconvenience to my race, and actually made me feel a bit better about being in the largest crowd I have been a part of since the marathon.

And while the weather, 42 degrees with on and off rain, had many runners confused about how to dress, no one was complaining.  (Having run and volunteered at this race when it was 90 degrees and sunny, personally I was much happier with Sunday's weather.)

Before the race began, the stage near the starting line hosted several speeches, bagpipes played Amazing Grace (I held it together this time) and a moment of silence for the fallen officers we were there to honor.  Tributes were also made to the marathons victims and Officer Sean Collier.  Race organizers printed copies of a second race bib for runners to pin to their backs, to honor Officer Collier who had registered to run today’s race. 

Police officers were on duty throughout the race course.  And for as many officers I passed, I heard at least 10 times as many “thank yous” from runners around me and even several high fives exchanged.

With an upset stomach for most of the race, this was certainly not my best day.  But I am so glad I ran, as this run will absolutely be one to remember. 


No comments: